Monday, June 10, 2013

I made a book.

So I made a book.

A few people suggested making an anthology of the pieces I've written about Doc to give him for his birthday. I felt that was kinda vain, but thought it might make a neat present for Father's Day. A week early perhaps, but I'm bad at keeping secrets for very long. I'm rather proud of myself for this little project. I definitely want to make more of them. I had to drop some cash, but the price tag won't be so much now that I have stuff to work with. I also got some coupons from the store, so that will help too.


I found a kit of sorts when I went to Michael's yesterday - I guess it wasn't really a kit since it was more like two pieces of thick cardboard to use as a book cover and back, but it was what I needed. The main reason I've never tried my hand at making a book is because I've never been sure how to create the outside to hold the pages. I also got some binder rings, distressing ink, a blending tool, decorative keys, and some tags to decorate the cover page above a little bit. The bluebird in the center was made from one of my existing stamps and distressing ink.


I didn't choose blue and brown for any particular reason - I just liked the colors and thought they would look good together. I picked up some plain white cardstock and hoped I'd be able to make neat cuts and that I would be able to print on that. Worked out beautifully. I think I'm going to get some more ink - it's kinda expensive, but I really like the results of working with it.


I ended up using 12 pages, single-sided. Mostly poems, but I threw Superimpose in because that started the whole thing and I still believe it's the best thing I ever wrote. I didn't use everything I ever wrote about Doc, but most of it is there. The stuff I left out was either too long, or I didn't like it enough to include. And I only had the 12 pages, but shhhh.


I think he was rather touched by the gesture. Said it was one of the nicest things he's ever received.  I really am happy with this little project. I can't wait to do another one :)

I also made a little gift for his wife for the book she bought me. I picked up some nice cookies and some coffee from Tuesday Morning. I don't know anything about coffee, so I was kinda guessing, but I figure everyone likes vanilla. And if you don't, then we can't be friends =P I'm with Doc though - I'm more of a tea person. Coffee is too bitter for me.

Still stuck on what I'm going to get him for his birthday. If I can find one, I'd like to get him a handheld chalkboard. They moved our Drama class from the usual room, and as annoyed as it makes him, he's excited to be in a room with an old school chalkboard. I watched him today, and he was carrying a piece of chalk almost the entire time. I think it would be a neat little idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment