Friday, March 15, 2013

I kind of love my mentor.

Well, things since the last post have been... I don't want to say "eventful," so I guess I'll settle for "interesting." Nothing's really happened, but I feel like something has shifted.

I mentioned Doc and the shower of compliments he drowned me in not long ago, and those words are turning into something more concrete. On Tuesday, he sat me down and went into serious mode.

"I have decided your career path for you. You don't have a choice. You're going to be an editor."

There's a really good magazine based right here in Little Rock called the Oxford American. As in, one of the best literary magazines in the country. It's kind of a big deal for Southern writers. Doc has offered to pull whatever strings he can to see about getting me an internship there. He's friends with the publisher and is trying to get me an interview with him. He spent some ten, fifteen minutes just telling me how much I would enjoy it, that I deserved a break and someone to go up to bat for me.

I honestly never expected to really get anything out of helping him out, but Doc is convinced I would make a magnificent editor. Interning with the magazine would be a great way to test the waters while getting a foot in the door. He can't guarantee anything, but it means worlds that he would even bother to try <3

Meanwhile, today I finally got to see what the recording process is like for the radio scripts. I met Doc at the department and we walked over to the studio (I'd never been, so I really didn't know where I was going). It looks pretty much like you imagine from TV and movies: a panel full of buttons and those bendy microphones. We spent a little under an hour there, him reading and me just watching the process. Three scripts, including one I wrote, were more or less finished this morning.

On the way back, he starts telling me about a few other radio projects he's involved in and I think I may have been roped into that too XD One of the other English professors is doing a half-hour show on Shakespeare's birthday and he wants me to have a look at that script. All while encouraging me to think about interning and editing for the local radio station.

If he keeps praising me like this, I might actually start to believe it XD

4 comments: