Thursday, August 23, 2012

First Day Back

You know how you get good ideas at weird times? That happened to me last night.

I went to bed early like a good student is supposed to; 2 AM, I'm still awake, and I think to myself I should have written some postcards to stuff in the professor's mailboxes. Instead of rolling over and ignoring the impulse, I realized it actually was a good idea, got up, fished out a card, and wrote a welcome back message for Dr. Minnick. But only one since it was so late.

I've since written one to the new linguistics professor, welcoming him to campus, and I've had time to refine the idea after some stuff in Adolescent Lit. But I'll get there momentarily.

My day began with History of the English Language (the one the new professor is teaching). My first impressions are that it's going to be a rigorous course, but an interesting one. After the usual syllabus stuff, we got to do some decoding with runic script, which was pretty neat. It's hard to say from one class if I'm going to like it or not - if it is going to be a lot of decoding like that, it might get old quickly. Then again, I do like puzzles. We'll see.

Next up is Algebra. The first day was not promising - we couldn't get into the classroom. On the bright side, we left quickly.

Approaches to Literature seems pretty fun so far. My initial impression was of an easy A. I think it will be a mostly reading and discussion sort of class, which tend to be my favorites. And we're reading Calvino in there later this year and I believe I've made my love of Calvino clear in the past <3

And thus we come to Adolescent Literature and I don't need to tell anyone how much I love this class. I enjoy the books, I enjoy the discussions, I love the professor - I'm here for the fun of it.

I've mentioned Minnick and I were swapping writing projects back and forth, and today he made a point of starting class with a close reading of a piece of flash fiction because he knew I would be there. Which is where I got a second idea for my postcard thing - he loves flash fic and one-sentence stories and all those really brief forms of writing. In short, fragments. So I've like to write a new one on a postcard say, every week, and stuff it in his mailbox. One of the names for flash fiction is "postcard fiction," so it's rather satisfying that way. And I do have an abundance of postcards now that I've started to make my own.

I dunno, *I* thought it was a neat idea. And it'll keep me in a bit of practice.

2 comments:

  1. Hey, the postcard fiction sounds pretty darn cool :D It's a good idea for you to do for your teacher. Have fun next week! It's a full week, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's good practice =D And I write better when I'm writing for/ to someone else.

      Delete