Sunday, October 7, 2012

I Fail at Pattern Recognition in My Own Life

I don't know why I only realized it a few days ago, but I give my writing away a lot.

My postcard project that I've been leaving for Dr. Minnick, my writing notebooks, my supposed-to-be-exclusively-for-classwork reflection journals, inserted into letters, left on sidewalks in chalk or on dry-erase boards - it's like I have this pseudo-obsession with leaving it all lying around for somebody to find.

I'm not sure what this says about me - that I want to be read? Discovered? Or I just like making somebody's day a little more surreal? (I think it's the last one.)

Last week, Dr. Minnick was asking if I kept the original copies and drafts of my work, which is how I noticed this pattern. I do keep all of my work - right up until I give away another notebook. I often post initial drafts online for feedback as well, so things are rarely lost for me. Still won't use Stash. Anyway, I was explaining my habit of mailing off my notebooks to him and he's the one all of my postcards go to; having the two things side-by-side in my head made me realize how often I just give my work away.

It honestly puzzles me now that I think about it. Aren't writers supposed to be possessive of their work or something? I never really thought twice about it until now.

No comments:

Post a Comment