Thursday, May 17, 2012

English Textbooks

The sun shone through the tinted window, its light quality changed from a harsh brightness to something softer, gentle, as I read the footnote next to the word "homely" - "in the old sense: simple and friendly." And something shifted. Something clicked. Where I had been waiting for class to end so I could get back to Pokemon, I have a sudden longing for an empty green field surrounded by pine trees. Something simple and friendly.

The light cast on the thin pages brings forth their transparency. I can see the faint imprints of black text, reversed and unreversed in either direction. They feel warm, full of life and wisdom.

Something I found while going through some old notebooks. I kinda like it.

I have a faint recollection of this memory somewhere in the back of my head. It was in Major British Writers, though I can't recall if it was I or II. Probably I. Keeping this here so maybe I can come back to it sometime.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, I like that! It manages to capture something more real than the everyday, I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :3 I should have written more at the time because now I don't know what to do with it.

      Delete