Monday, May 28, 2012

Senescence

A present for the zero people who read this blog =P
_________

She nodded and pushed back in the swing as far as it would go before letting gravity and momentum carry her forward and hopped out at the apex.

“Show off.”

He regretted it instantly when he saw the cheeky gleam in her eye. “Getting old, Lawrence?” He could practically taste the sarcasm in the innocent tone.

“Not so old I won’t throw snow at you,” he nudged her shoulder with his as they plodded over the snow-covered grass and made for the bridge. He knew she had no malice behind the comment, but it was true; the first hints of age were creeping up on him. Something in the bottom of his chest ached, and it had nothing to do with senescence. You’ll always be older than her.

“Lawrence?”

“Hm?” He turned to her, and was puzzled by the look of concern.

“Are you okay? You know I didn’t mean it like that,” she looked awkward. “I’m sorry if I upset you – ” 

He was confused until his brain finally caught up with what she was saying and he hurried to soothe her worries. He could imagine what his facial expression must have looked like to prompt her anxiety.

“It’s nothing you said, love, not directly. Just… I was just thinking is all.” 

She twisted a lock of hair around her finger. “May I ask what you were thinking about?”

About you. About me. About us.

“I don’t know. Age I guess. I am getting up there after all,” he said it with a smile, as though it didn’t matter.


_________

See Lawrence.
See Lawrence angst. 
See Lawrence play pretend. 
Angst, Lawrence, angst!

For real yall, I just want to give this man a hug <3

Senescence is the biological changes a person undergoes as they age. Wrinkles, grey hair, arthritis, organ failure, and ultimately death. But death is a long ways away from dear Lawrence.

2 comments:

  1. New vocabulary!! Plus angst... <3 Awesome all around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you~ I have one more scene to write before I can pull this whole thing together. I'd like to get it finished in the next few days.

      Delete