Saturday, January 14, 2012

Carrying Things

Yesterday's post on writing exercises got me thinking a little. I mentioned wanting to do more with "The Things They Carried" prompt, and that thought mutated into something totally different - a visual exercise instead of a written one.

I can only do it for myself I suppose, and my camera isn't the best, but it will work. We'll play the "your house is on fire" game: what do you grab? (I hate that game. Like I'm only going to grab one thing. You have two arms people!)

 These are the various writing notebooks I keep. The big black binder with the zipper is the main one - I've had it for six years and it's still in pretty good shape all things considered. The blue and brown spiral I got for my writing class last semester; large enough to write properly, small enough to fit in my bag and go everywhere.

This is my favorite possession. Bar none. If it was this or my PlayStation, I'd choose the hat.

This was a gift from Bill; it's his old hat. We used this hat to build a mini-snowman in from of the Administration building late one night. I wore socks on my hands because I didn't have gloves and my hands froze anyway. We lost the hat when the snow melted. He went rummaging through the lost and found at the end of the year and got it back for me <3

 But my hat collection is considerably larger than just one. I have over twenty now I believe. Lots of fedoras, but also a top hat, caps, an aviator hat, berets (one with some militray flair), bucket hats, a few that look rather 20's-ish, an Indy hat, and the classic Dr. Seuss hat.

I'm currently hunting for a bowler, a tricorner, a sunhat, and a wizard hat X3
I'm rather a pack rat, so I keep pretty much everything. Cards, letters, books, movies, wires and charagers, glass bottles, knick-knacks, boxes, black CD's, scarves, ribbon, coins - you wouldn't believe the stuff I find when I clean my room.

I like to try to stay organized but can't really manage - not out of laziness but just plain lack of space. I'm not allowing myself to go to Hastings anymore because I have no room on my bookshelf.

2 comments:

  1. I love everything about this post. I can tell that you and Bill are very good friends. It's such a sweet story. :)

    Do you ever wear the hats that you collect? The bit about hats reminds me a bit of one of my best friends; she is never seen without her hair up in a baseball cap.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do wear my hats though not as often as I used to. Some of them have gotten a bit small for my head now.

      Delete