Wednesday, January 4, 2012

This Post Turned Into a Memoir

Having been sick for much of the week, I took most of the day to sleep in; I got up around 2:00PM today. Then spent most of the remaining daylight fuming because my Internet was, once again, broken. I have since fixed it obviously, by ripping out all the cords and plugging them back in. Three times. Why it didn't work the first time is beyond the scope of my knowledge and I am forced to conclude that the machines are in fact sentient and they hate me.

Finally got things working around 6:00PM and found not as many messages in my dA inbox as I feared, though I did miss the chat event I had been planning on attending. Oh well, there will be more in the future.

Tara has pointed out to me that this is slowly becoming a daily blog, which wasn't really intended XD I'll probably slow down with the posting so often once school starts up or I run out of postcards to share (two more posts at this rate). Until then, more postcards!

 Terrible photo quality on this - apologies. The lighter colored cards get a lot of glare.

This one happens to be a homemade postcard; the paper is a bit thinner than normal and the pictures were both taken by the sender. The one in the top right corner is some sort of market scene - the lower right is a boat.

The sender was from Malaysia and also provided a return address so I can send a card back to her, which doesn't happen that often. Usually there's no address at all except your own, so it's neat to be able to return the favor.


I've been to Idaho once, but only very briefly - as in, just a few minutes. I got the opportunity to visit Yellowstone National Park with my grandparents several years ago and our route took us through a quick stretch of the state.

This card was my first request - usually, Postcrossing works by getting a random address, but users are allowed to message specific members and ask if they would like to do a postcard exchange. This makes it easier if you're out to get a card from every country or state. The lady who sent this card was the first person to send me one of those messages :) She also wrote quite a lot on the backside - apparently she used to live near a site with a herd of some 200 horses. After a rash of widfires though, the herd has been considerably reduced. Only 30 came back and some of the others were adopted into ranches in Utah and Nevada.

I'd love to go out West again one day. Both of my trips - Yellowstone and the Grand Canyon - were made with my grandparents. Unfortunately, my grandfather seems to subscribe to the philosophy of "go just to say you've been;" we didn't even spend an entire day at Yellowstone. Just stayed long enough to watch some geysers. Pretty big letdown really (though I'm still grateful to have gotten to go). The world out there looks more or less the way your average Western depicts it - huge open spaces, big cloudless skies, few trees. The scenery is just amazing in every direction.

I didn't understand it at the time, but I've also had the privelage of standing on a certain corner in Winslow, Arizona :P It wasn't far from most of the stuff we were there to see - the Canyon, the Petrified Forest, the Painted Desert, Meteor Crater. I've also been to the Four Corners, seen the Great Salt Lake, and I think that may be it for my Western landmarks. I've been to a lot more in the other direction XD

2 comments:

  1. You've been to a lot of places! And the places you haven't been to, you have postcards from! xD

    ReplyDelete