Thursday, January 5, 2012

The Weatherman is a Rain God

I had a lot to talk about today. But I forgot most of it, so I'm just going to ramble about for a while.

Transliterations has a new contest prompt for those interested in modernizing some mythology. Luckily, my Professional Muse is quite the mythology buff; I will be taking on a Hindu story about the god Indra and his battle with the dragon Vritra. Every time it rains, it's a recreation of thier battle.

I have decided my Indra reincarnate shall be a weatherman for the lulz. Leaning towards rival meteorologists, working for differnet news stations. I thought about having my protaganist go to the pet store and unknowingly buy a snake that tured out to be a reincarnate of his ancient rival, but it's easier to write two humans. I may have taken some inspiration from Douglas Adams on this one. More specifically, his Rain God character. I usually found Adams' throwaway gags and characters to be the best ones.

Because my Muse likes to lecture, I now know enough about Hindu mythology to give a crash course to a class of ten year olds. We've also decided there needs to be a crossover fic with Paul Bunyan and the bull Nandi. Hinduism just happens to have a race of giants that I'm sure I could tie in :P I'll keep things updated here for those interested in the mysterious writing process of mine.

But I doubt I'll get much of it done tonight. Have some more postcards.

 This one is from Belarus, which was the first time I had to go dig out a map to figure out where it came from. It's a fairly small nation that declared soverignty during the break-up of the USSR. I'd tell you what this is a picture of, but I don't know - I believe the language is Russian and if I were to guess I'd say it's a petting zoo. The sender didn't clarify, identifying it only as a "place of relaxation" in his city.



 A card from Finland - "Suomi" is not a city as I first thought, but the Finnish word for Finland :D Once again though, the sender didn't offer much information about themselves or the card.

I can understand that really - it's difficult to say much in such a small space, combinded with writing to a complete stranger. I suppose I can consider myself lucky in this instance to have trained myself into brevity with my writing, even if my penmanship leaves much to be desired.

Finland though is one of those countries I don't know much about but probably wouldn't mind visiting. It looks like a wonderfully scenic country and I'm pretty sure it's far north enough to get the Aurora at night - one of the reasons I'd love to travel North in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment