Sunday, January 15, 2012

Ice in the Desert

The ice palaces of Galah sparkled blindingly in the desert sun. The city flashed and gleamed like a diamond even from miles away, calling like a beacon over the sand dunes and camel trails. It was impossible to see at close range - too white, too stunning, too everything. Even with shaded eyes the refraction of light through unmelting ice twisted the straight paths into the most heineous of mazes and left my senses dazzled. Everything within its limits was bright and sharp, from the piercing voices of its people thronged about the square to their frosted white hair and starched clothing of no material I could name. Even long after I left, the stunning flashes of light remianed.

I like desert cities for some reason. I guess they feel exotic to me.

I got a Daily Devation featured today, which is a neat feeling. I've been trying to get into a habit of suggestion something at least every week in addition to DLD's. I've got quite a stash to pull from now, so it should last for a while.

Well, school starts on Tuesday and I still haven't bought any pepper spray. Yes, you heard me. I need a weapon to carry on campus now that I have an evening course. For some reason this class is only offered at night this semester; if I didn't need it, I wouldn't have taken it at all. Small blessings though - that class is only one day a week.

2 comments:

  1. Sometimes I wonder if I should carry a weapon on campus for night classes... I had a couple night classes last semester, and I never really felt that safe. Pepper spray is a good idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well... a student was abducted and murdered last semester, hence the paranoia for our campus. Muggings/ jumping are pretty common as well, and there's really not much of a security presence around.

      Delete