Sunday, January 1, 2012

First Post!

Starting the year with origami stars and snail mail :D

Counting myself, there are, as of this posting, nine players in the Round Robin game of mine. I haven't decided if I want to keep using the current notebook that apparently isn't as full as I would have expected given that most of the players are writers, or just start a new book with the new year. Decisions, decisions.

I think I'm going to go ahead and let this one play out. It gives the newest participants time to jump in and get a feel for how the game works and the older particpants aren't immediately handed shipping costs again XD There's also the issue of what happens to a full notebook, which I'm going to have to confront eventually. It seems unfair to just keep it, but I can't keep passing it around either. If the game goes on long enough, eventually everyone will have a full notebook for themselves I guess, but I don't see anyone playing that long, especially if it takes a while to fill a 100 page notebook.


 Meanwhile, my postcard collection is growing at a steady rate =D

These two are from Russia - the windmill is from a small town called Tula, near Moscow. Apparently, the winters there are quite cold (the sender doesn't like that D:) The sender was also an architect, so naturally would be fond of buildings. It's one of my favorite cards so far.




 The second is (obviously) from St. Petersburg, though the sender was actually from Moscow. They picked up this card on vacation I believe. The picture quality came out strangely because my camera is a silly point and shoot :/

The goat probably has my favorite story behind it. It' not actually a postcard - it's a greeting card. The sender (Poland) had a library book on them at the time and couldn't go into the store to buy a postcard without the book setting off the alarm. So I got a card with a goat eating a flower instead XD Apparently, they've had to explain multiple times that they weren't stealing anything.





I've got quite a few more in my collection - I'd like to start putting them all here as I recieve them :) Expect more cards soon enough!

New year stuff - nah. I've never done resolutions or set goals for myself, though I've begun taking on projects so that I can feel accomplished when they're done. Last summer was a bottle of origami stars which left me with a nervous tic around origami paper for quite a while. I'm getting back into it though and have three or four glass bottles I'd like to fill up. They make fantastic display pieces and gifts.

My official project, as it were, is a poem a month based on the Eastern Zodiac. A bit cliche, but it was given to me by a friend and no one had any better ideas, least of all me. And said friend usually doesn't steer me wrong :P

3 comments:

  1. Omigosh, those postcards are so awesome! I can't wait to do that postcrossing thing you told me about! :)

    So you'll be starting on a poem about Aquarius? Or is it a different zodiac that you're using?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just be sure to buy international stamps - they're a dollar a piece, but you have to use them to send out of the country.

    I'm using the Eastern Zodiac, so it's the animal version. I'll likely start with the rat and move in order, or try to anyway XD As a side note, 2012 happens to be the Year of the Dragon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yes...Eastern Zodiac! xD I should have realized that. Seems like it'd be a little bit easier than the regular zodiac anyway. It is the year of the dragon, isn't it? Cool symbol. :)

    ReplyDelete