Friday, January 27, 2012

Drowning in Reverse

I am exhausted TT_TT It's not fair to be exhausted when I only had one class today.

Granted, the class was Anthropology, but still. Which I didn't really pay very close attention to anyway as I had a story to write. And which I will now share here because I don't have much else to write about.

Drowning in Reverse

x. I still have your phone.

ix. The boardwalk carnival was shut down a few months later, roped off and boarded up like a condemnation of joy. The ferris wheel still rose high above the skyline, towering in silent reminder.

viii. The funeral was on a beautiful, balmy, sunny day and somehow that made it all the worse. The wind would pick up a little and ruffle your goldspun hair and I could hope, just for a moment, that you were still here.

vii. It was a cold, white room. I don't know why hospitals are so cold. Or maybe it was just me - maybe it was just me trying to siphon out all of my warmth and channel it into you.

vi. I didn't see the crowd that gathered on the beach - I barely registered the flash of red and blue lights - I only saw you, skin pale as the stretcher they were loading you on to, blue shirt stained black like a death sigil.

v. Someone was drowning. You cast an arm out pointing - there was someone out there in the dark water drifting further and further from shore.

You asked me to hold your phone.

iv. We wandered away from the carnival boardwalk, away from the neon and the chatter and the screams of delight, exchanged for the crunch of sand and rush of waves. The moon cast a metallic sheen over the whole world and made you look older than your seventeen years.

iii. I wiped the powdered sugar off your nose; you always ate the funnel cake before anything else. I grabbed your hand as we passed by the swings.

It felt like flying.

ii. I heard your beat up old Mustang before I saw it. The squeak of brakes in front of the house was a dead giveaway; my father's breaks always sounded like the voice of the most obnoxious girl in math class. Yours sounded like the whine of a puppy.

i. My phone buzzed on the kitchen table -

CARNIVAL 2NITE? <3


I feel pretty good about this one, though it is rough around the edges. Not bad for my first try at writing a story backwards though.

No comments:

Post a Comment